"Intellectual distinction is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for election to a Rhodes Scholarship. Selection committees are charged to seek excellence in qualities of mind and in qualities of person which, in combination, offer the promise of effective service to the world in the decades ahead. The Rhodes Scholarships, in short, are investments in individuals rather than in project proposals..."

Friday, July 15, 2011

RMCHEC - Day 1

It was a beautiful day in Denver!  The Rocky Mountains are stunning and I just couldn't do them justice with my cell phone camera.  So, no pictures.  Sorry.

My first talk went great and I had the great pleasure of spending time with Maureen Wittmann and her lovely daughter, Laura.  I also got to hear Dr. Ted Sri give a presentation on his book The Biblical Walk Through the Mass.  Our parish offered a study of the book using Ascension Press' Study Guide and our host was Jeff Cavins.  He's no slouch.  However, hearing Dr. Sri's words about the book were very powerful. He's an animated speaker and totally in love with our Catholic Faith.  What a blessing.  He and his wife also homeschool their six children.  Our venue was the location at which he video recorded the DVD Study Program.  I'm tempted to purchase it since it's $25 less here than on Amazon! 

Speaking of spending money.  I found some great finds at the used curriculum table.  I found the Teaching Company's Great Course on the Iliad for $4.  That's right $4.  I also picked up a couple of presents for my kids.  Kids, if you are reading this, you will have to wait until I get home!  Oh, I could spend more money, but I will be so busy tomorrow doing three talks, I will not have time to cruise the vendor floor.

The talks tomorrow are:  This Old School House, Socrates Meets Homeschool Mom and How to Get Your Kid To See the Light!  I can't wait and must sign off now to get a good nights sleep.

Good night from Denver!

No comments: