"Intellectual distinction is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for election to a Rhodes Scholarship. Selection committees are charged to seek excellence in qualities of mind and in qualities of person which, in combination, offer the promise of effective service to the world in the decades ahead. The Rhodes Scholarships, in short, are investments in individuals rather than in project proposals..."

Friday, August 7, 2009

Rethinking my plan and Spell to Write and Read

As I look at my goal for next year, I must rethink my plan. What is my goal?

Holy Trinity Academy Goal #1:
We will become proficient writers.

Holy Trinity Academy Goal #2:
We will learn speed reading.

Holy Trinity Academy Goal #3:
We will practice without complaint.


Sounds easy, doesn't it? Not to this mommy! These are lofty goals for any homeschooling mom. Just number 1 alone scares the pants off me. Proficient does not mean okay or good. It means expert. How do we make kids good writers? Daily practice is required and I pray we can practice without complaint (see #3).

I will be attending a Spell to Write and Read conference in two weeks. In order to accomplish #1, we need to master handwriting and spelling. Once we've got that underway, we'll be working on grammar and writing.

No comments: